Former President of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on Monday lambasted some state governors in Nigeria for living like emperors while demanding sacrifice from the citizens for Nigeria to survive the hard times. he went on to criticize them and other current Nigerian leaders in areas he feels he did better when he led Nigeria as its President. Date360ng has put together 5 things he outlined in this piece…
1. Obasanjo said when he became Nigerian president in 1999; he recognised corruption as a major impediment to the Nigerian state setting up structures like the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to fight the rot
2. He said that after he left, corruption returned to Nigeria with a vengeance, draining billions of dollars from the nation’s economy that could hardly afford to lose even a million dollars.
3. He said, “Leaders who call for sacrifice from the citizenry cannot be living in obscene opulence.
4. He also said some governors have hijacked the resources of the local governments and this has crippled the developments of the local government councils in the country.
5. He concluded that some governors have become sole administrators, acting like emperors.