Your kitchen is arguably one of the most important rooms of your house. After all, that’s where all the food is, right?
With that in mind, it can be extra helpful to have a few “hacks” at your disposal in order to make your kitchen tasks easier than ever before.
1. If you happen to over-salt a pot of soup, just drop in a peeled potato. The potato will absorb the excess salt.
2. When boiling eggs, add a pinch of salt to keep the shells from cracking.
3. Never put citrus fruits (Oranges,Lemons, limes, etc) or tomatoes in the fridge. The low temperatures degrade the aroma and flavor of these fruits.(That’s why our tomatoes don’t last in the fridge)4. To clean iron cookl-ware, don’t use detergents. Just scrub them with salt and a clean, dry paper towel.
5. When storing empty airtight containers, throw in a pinch of salt to keep them from getting stinky.
6. Burned a pot of rice? Just place a piece of white bread on top of the rice for 5-10 minutes to draw out the burned flavour. Be careful not to scrape the burned pieces off of the bottom of the pan when serving the rice.
7. Before you chop fresh red peppers, rub a little vegetable oil into your hands and your skin won’t absorb the spiciness.
8. If you aren’t sure how fresh your eggs are, place them in about four inches of water. Eggs that stay on the bottom are fresh. If only one end tips up, the egg is less fresh and should be used soon. If it floats, it’s past the fresh stage.
9. To banish ants from the kitchen, find out where they are coming in and cover the hole with petroleum jelly(Vaseline). Ants won’t trek through the jelly. If they are coming under a door, draw a line on the floor with chalk. The little bugs also won’t cross a line of chalk.
10. Do you cry while peeling off onions, then try this. After peeling off your onions, refrigerate the onions for at least 5minutes, then dice it. You will be glad you did.